Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Day 11: Today I am thankful for...

....my community.


One of the reasons why I have loved this year has been the people around me. And by "around me", I mean that literally--my neighbors. Not being a student, I was apprehensive that I might feel out of place or "too old" for the U-dist. But it is hoppin' with relationships, my friend! I love walking down the street and knowing people. It has been such a blessing to have a cottage of girls living down the street to gab and share laughs with; six wonderful core group ladies all in the same 5 block radius; the most hospitable, warm, friendly family I know just kitty corner to me; renters/little brothers downstairs with energy and youthful spirits; and neighbors-turned-friends across the street with an open-door policy and a philosophy of sharing life together that inspires me to pass it on....Not to mention the wonderful unit I live with who have taught me so much about teamwork and what family looks like in the midst of crazy seasons of life. More and more this year God has shown me how investing in the people around you--those you see on a daily basis, whom you share the "normal" day-to-day with--adds so much meaning to life and allows you to practice hospitality, generosity, patience, and to have on-going conversations that possess the ease and comfort of a family. What's key though, and something I need practice with, is keeping these relationships intentional. That's the next step. But man, it's one of the biggest lessons I've learned this year...the richness in relationships with those in your everyday.

No comments: