Saturday, February 4, 2012

What I Do When I Am Alone and In Poor Health: The Mute Shares Her Thoughts

So, I'm probably not the only one who kinda cringes when they hear their recorded voice ("Is that my voice? Is that *MY* voice?") but I've never been a fan of mine. So when a sore throat happens to me, despite the pain, I secretly enjoy how my voice gets raspy and unpredictable (some would even argue, Sex-ayyy...?). But all fun things must end, so I've taken a vow of silence to heal the ol' vocal cords....tired of being sick!

And that's what brings me here, writing to you (whoever you are) on this perfectly good saturday night. The inability to talk with others this weekend has driven me to solitude. Which is probably all for the best...I tend to try to fill in my schedule with social plans, coffee dates, Greenlake walks etc, and I rarely turn down social invitations. And so I kept to myself today, reading in the 60 degree sunshine. And it was a nice change of pace. I had been feeling kinda out of whack recently, like I couldn't hear myself think. So I'd like to think this cold was a way for God to say "Stop. Rest. Be okay with the quiet and NO PLANS."

So I've been reading as of late. That was a general goal for these next 8 months--read as much as possible. As far as spiritual literature, my current devotional is My Utmost for His Highest, which I am greatly enjoying (thought sometimes I feel like I have to read it many times over to correctly understand it). My core group that I lead is going through Mere Christianity, which has been a favorite book of mine since high school. Recently I have been on a C.S. Lewis kick since the fall and I love getting to re-read his way of reminding me how logical, intellectually and personally engaging, and revolutionary the Christian faith is.
As far as other books, I have struggled finding something that captures my attention. For instance, I really, really want to like the Hunger Game books. But I am struggling through book 2 like you wouldn't believe. I loved the concept of the first book (which is why I am excited for the movie). But gosh darn it, I just can't get past the writing! It's so....lack luster. Mind you, I would never consider myself a book snob. I think my own writing is embarrassingly under-developed. But I've realized that in order for me to get into books, I need to be challenged--whether that be with the beauty of just the right words being put together to spin a perfectly clear image, or how the author peels a part the Everyday, or satire, or....just things that aren't so cut and dry. So if you are still reading after that whole rant, let me know if you have any recommendations, both fiction and not.

Solitude also conveniently drives me to a place of creativity. Like wood-block prints! And Valentine's Day cards! I'm hoping it will move more towards writing prose (blogging does not count) and maybe even some sketching/watercolor....maybe.

I'm also using this time alone on solidifying travel plans. Chicago! Detroit! LA! And then some undecided trip this fall (see two posts down).

This post was so random. I'm going to watch Happy Endings now.

No comments: